Invisalign: An Insightful Guide
Interesting Facts About Invisalign:
- Wearability: Because they are made of a transparent material, Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible, fit comfortably in your mouth and let you smile knowing that nothing shows but the natural beauty of your teeth.
- Convenience and Freedom: Traditional metal braces must be worn all day, every day--they cannot be removed. Invisalign aligners, however, are removed with ease when you need to brush and floss or eat.
- Treatment Time: Straightening your teeth with traditional braces takes significantly longer than with Invisalign. Treatment times vary from patient to patient, but most see results within a year or less.
- Easy Maintenance: Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign aligners are easy to keep clean. You simply remove them, brush and rinse and then replace. It doesn't get any simpler than that!
- No Harmful Toxins: Metal braces may leach toxins into your mouth, which can then enter your blood stream. For this reason, many patients choose Invisalign, which uses BPA-free plastic aligners.
Misconceptions about Invisalign
- You'll See Fast Results: Many people confuse shorter treatment times with instant results. The fact is, although Invisalign works faster than traditional braces, it still takes time to achieve optimal alignment. Patients should prepare their treatment to last up to a year or more, depending on their individual needs.
- Invisalign is Completely Invisible: Because the aligners are clear, people assume they'll be invisible when placed over the teeth. The truth, however, is that they're nearly invisible from far distances, but in close proximity, they are visible.
- No Dietary Restrictions: With traditional braces, there are a number of foods patients can't eat because they could damage the metal brackets. While those foods aren't off-limits with Invisialign, stain-causing foods and beverages like red wine, tea and coffee are problematic. Avoid these items during treatment, or brush your teeth and aligners after consuming them to reduce the risk for stains.
- No Need for Retainers: Retainers are just as necessary following Invisalign treatment as they are after having traditional braces removed. They keep your teeth from shifting out of alignment, and most retainers closely resemble the aligners used with Invisalign.
- Invisalign is for Everyone: Unfortunately, this treatment is not appropriate for every patient. Some patients have complex misalignment that requires traditional treatment methods. Our dentist can evaluate your teeth and jaw to determine whether you're a good candidate for Invisalign.
If you would like to find out if you qualify for Invisalign at My North Atlanta Dentist in Atlanta, Georgia, call our office at 404-252-5252 today.